Skip to main content

Creatures of Habit

Beep, beep, beep, beep.  My alarm rang out causing me to roll over to stop the beeping sound.  I pushed the button on my phone and laid in bed waiting for my eyes to come into focus.  After a moment, I swung my legs off the side of the bed and sat there starring into the darkness of the room.  Another few seconds passed and I turned the flashlight on my phone on and moved over to my dresser.  I grab some socks first, then move over to determine which pants I will wear today which will ultimately determine what shirt I’ll wear.  Finally, finished dressing myself, I turn back to my phone and turn off my back up alarm before heading downstairs to start making breakfast.  Once downstairs a whole new set of habits (or routines) take hold and this continues until I get to work.  My whole morning passes in a sort of blur as I follow one routine after another.  Take a moment and think about the routines and habits in your life.  There are bound to be good and bad habits.  Habits you are fully aware of and ones that are a little less obvious.  Make no mistake though, everything we do is a product of our habits and routines, and they all start with a simple trigger.

To fully understand how we operate, let’s first take a look at how habits work and identify a few of our triggers and routines.  There’s a lot of studies out there on habits, and a common consensus is that there is a “habit loop” that occurs beginning with a trigger.  From that simple trigger a series of events unfolds ending with a reward of some kind.  A habit loop can describe why we do most everything we do.  Like I mentioned above, a habit loop begins with a trigger (in the first paragraph my trigger was my alarm clock), which starts a routine (getting ready for work), and finishes with a reward (I made it to work).  The loop can be small or large and the trigger and reward can sometimes be hard to pinpoint.  However, everything we do regularly falls on this habit loop and is a product of our routines.  Let’s look at a couple other routines and break them down.  

Are you someone who needs to snack while watching TV?  Even if you just ate?  There’s a routine here that you’ve created.  The trigger is turning on Netflix, which causes you to get up and grab a snack, which finishes the loop as now you’re satisfied and eating and can continue binge watching a show.  The question in this scenario is, why is it that we grab food?  In most cases it isn’t because we’re hungry, but it’s part of our loop.  We have created a habit of needing food while watching TV.  The habit may have started because you actually were hungry while watching a show, but now it’s just something you do.  This habit can be changed though, and once we recognize it as a routine, we can adjust our pattern and set ourselves up for change.  

For example, next time you sit down to watch Netflix and halfway through the show your brain says “you need a snack,” ask yourself are you really hungry or just following a routine you’ve created.  What happens if this time instead of getting a snack you walk around the house for a minute and then come back and watch the show?  Or, what if you filled a glass of water instead of getting a snack?  If you’re not truly hungry, why do we grab food?  There are a number of reasons that we feel the need to get food when we’re not hungry ranging from boredom, being tired, needing a break from the TV, etc.  I’m leaving a lot out here, but you get the idea.

We have the ability to change our routines once we recognize the trigger and determine the reward.  The hard thing with habits is we can’t erase them, we can only redirect them.  The habit loop will always be there, which is why addicts have so much difficulty shaking their addictions. They must find new ways to satisfy the trigger and reward of getting drunk or high.  But, just like everything else, the habit will always be there, the routine is what we must focus our energy on.  If you think about are strongest habits, we’re probably all at some level addicts, we just choose healthier outlets.  Think about the person who runs every day, miles upon miles of running.  What happens if they don’t get their run?  The person who sits and plays video games for hours, works out daily, reads all the time.  These are all products of our routines that create and addiction, perhaps not an unhealthy level, but it’s possible to think that some people take their workout routines too far, or lose themselves in gaming for hours at a time.  Take a moment and think of a couple routines that you have in your day.  Try to identify a good and bad routine.  Then see if you can pinpoint the trigger and reward for each.  Do you know what starts your good/bad habits?  Do you know why you do the routine?  What reward comes after your routine is complete?

Here’s a couple examples of habits you may have to help you determine a few of your routines: biting your nails, snaking during work or watching tv, exercising, brushing your teeth, showering daily, stopping for fast food on the way home from work, the route you drive to work, when you read or write.  That’s just a small sample of the many routines we all live by.  There are constant triggers happening all around us that say, “hey it’s time to start x routine.”  Some habits are good and they save us time and energy or make us consistent at doing stuff.  Others create problems in our lives and are “guilty pleasures” or “bad habits.”  Make a list of all your habits and see which habits are running your life and routine.  How are you getting through each day?

The bottom line is this, we are all creatures of habit.  That’s what being human is.  We’re hard-wired to operate utilizing a variety of different routines.  I’m tired, go to bed, feel refreshed and rested.  I’m hungry, make food, I’m satisfied and full.  I’m lonely, call/text a friend, I’ve created human/social connection.  I’m bored, insert routine here, I’m no longer bored.  You get the picture.  Find what triggers your routines, then determine if the routine is good or bad, and if it is really giving us the reward we crave.  Remember you can’t delete a habit, but we can change the routine.  We can re-program ourselves to produce new routines based on old triggers.  We can also try to set up new triggers with different routines, but beware of this because if the old trigger happens we will still follow the old routine.  No matter how long you’ve been doing this new routine, the old trigger will still cause us to, for lack of a better word, relapse.  We are all creatures of habit, but we don’t have to be prisoners to our routines.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail Forward

Another year has come to an end and this time it also marks the end of a decade.  It’s kinda crazy to think that I have been around for the end of four decades.  But, that’s a story for another time.  This year I set a series of goals for myself that aren’t just for the coming year, but for the coming decade.  I think that allowing myself an opportunity to look further down the road than just one year will keep me motivated over the next 10 years.  I read a staggering statistic this morning that says, 80% of all New Year’s Resolutions fail.  That’s such a huge failure it makes me wonder why people bother to make resolutions at all.  I personally believe that a big part of resolution failures is the use of the word resolution, the number of resolutions people make, and the lack of a plan on what it will take to get there.  Then there’s the idea that there is not room for failure in the things you’ve set for yourself to achieve.  If you paid attention above, I made a series of goal

The Power of Grit: Why Some Succeed Where Others Don’t

When you see someone successful, what are your first thoughts?  How many times have you seen a great athlete and muttered under your breath, well they’re just gifted?  Or seen a great work of art and thought, I could never do that, they’re just artsy.  Or seen an awesome invention and thought, I wish I was that smart?  We often get drawn into this cycle of wishing we were capable of someone else’s great achievements.  We look at their end result and forget that they put in hours of work behind the scenes to become the person we see.  Often this leads to resentment or disgust toward that person.  Even excuses as to why we aren’t as successful as they are.  Every person is capable of achieving greatness and success, but few people grasp what it takes to get there.  It comes down to finding our passion, and being just a little more gritty. Why does grit determine success more than any other character trait?  Why is talent not more important?  I’ve found that talent is often over

Hey Coach: It's Not About You

I find myself in conversations about coaching a lot.  I think it’s a fascinating profession that has many incredible people doing an amazing job everyday.  However, we still hear and see stories of terrible coaches.  I often wonder why there are still bad coaches out there?  I think to myself that with all these resources how do we have coaches who still just don’t get it?  A lot of times especially at the youth level.  It’s hard to watch the kids that need the most coaching and teaching get stuck with people who don’t know how to do either.  It’s not entirely the coaches fault in that instance, they are volunteers that got stuck leading a team for a sport they never played because their kid is on the team and nobody else would step up.  This is topic for another time, but to be blunt and simple about it, if you had the chance to coach your kid and chose not to, keep your mouth shut if you don’t like what the coach who did step up is doing.  Anyway, back to why some coaches are good